Saturday, January 24, 2009

Spinning kicked my butt..

I just started working out - again. Only this time, I'm going to stick to it! I have no lofty goals. I merely want to be stronger, my lungs better, and to cultivate a new habit of self-care. If I happen to lose some weight (or inches) in the process, that's just a pleasant bonus.

I joined a gym, even though I have both a treadmill and an elliptical machine at home. I joined with a friend, in hopes of motivating each other. Well, Tom moved out of town and I still have a membership. It's an awesome gym - at the Waunakee Village Center. Clean, bright, not too crowded (except on Saturdays at 10am), brand new building and machines, people of all ages, and CLEAN.

Well, folks, in my enthusiasm to get started on a healthy habit... I enrolled for a Spinning class. I thought, how hard can it be? It's just riding a stationary bike, right? WRONG. It's darn HARD. On average, my 50 minute class will burn 500 to 600 calories if I push myself at 60% exertion. No lie! Well, I exerted and exerted but I still couldn't get out of my seat for those standing hill climbs for very long!

Oh well -- the 65 y/o woman on the bike next to me couldn't do the standing climbs either. It made me feel good to know that at least I could keep up with her. And by class #10, I'll be so much stronger!

No comments: