Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thankful for Refrigeration

Yes, that's right.... REFRIGERATION. :)

I could blog about the important things in life that I'm thankful for - family, friends, health, God, work, etc. But it seems rather expected.

This year, I'm especially thankful for refrigeration. You don't know what you've got til it's gone, Baby.

We had 13 people over for Thanksgiving dinner, another 9 for Friday leftovers, and kids staying for the entire weekend. I cooked over 40 lbs. of turkey (2 large birds), 128 homemade yeast dinner rolls, four pies, and all the trimmings. It was delicious. Right after the Thanksgiving dishes were cleaned, my refrigerator decided to vex me and broke down. Not only did it stop working, but it began to blow hot air throughout the inside of the unit. The inside of the refrigerator was over 80 degrees! We unplugged it to avoid a house fire.

My new screen porch became our walk-in refrigerator.... until it snowed on Sunday. Then it became a big, wet mess. One of the best things about Thanksgiving is the leftovers... but not when they freeze on the screen porch. Apple and pumpkin pies do not freeze and thaw well - they just get soggy.

BTW, it was hilarious how often people opened the refrigerator door just to find it empty. We all did it out of habit, and then complained.

I'm finishing my fifth day without refrigeration.
I miss it.
I want it back.
I'm thankful American TV is coming to fix it today.

No comments: